Hurstpierpoint College | Senior School - Academic

Shell (Year 9)

The Shell (Year 9) curriculum has been designed to allow students to experience a good range of subjects, before they have to make decisions about which subjects they wish to continue studying at GCSE level.

All Shell students will be taught a core academic curriculum comprising: English, Mathematics and Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). In addition, all students will study a core creative curriculum of Dance, Drama and PE. These compulsory subjects take up 56% of the timetable leaving 44% for the optional subjects.

Core subjects:

  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Dance
  • Drama
  • Physical Education (PE)

To complete their timetable pupils choose six subjects from the following list:

  • Art & Design
  • Computer Science
  • Design & Technology (DT)
  • French
  • Geography
  • History
  • Latin
  • Music
  • Religion, Ethics and Philosophy (REP)
  • Spanish
  • Learning Support
  • English as a Second Language

This means that students in the Shell will study up to 14 subjects (as the three Sciences are taught separately).

Students receiving scholarships in Art, Dance, Drama, Music and Sport are required to study those subjects in the Shell year.

Students also have PSHE (Personal, Social, Health and Economic) lessons which aim to ensure that all our students stay safe and healthy by helping to prepare them to take on new responsibilities whilst having the necessary skills to make informed choices when managing risk. Our programme helps to develop resilience and the ability to empathise, whilst also encouraging independent thinking.