"How best should today’s students begin to prepare for their journey into our challenging and ever-shifting world?
We look to respond flexibly to what students wish to study in the Sixth Form, and if there is sufficient interest in the IB, a programme we rate highly, then we will look to provide it.
The IB DP is an alternative to the A Level Programme. It encapsulates everything we strive to achieve with our pupils at Hurst: as well as studying 6 subjects, there is a core comprising a course in the Theory of Knowledge, a CAS programme made up of Creativity, Action and Service, and an Extended Essay.
All subjects involve an element of coursework and there are external examinations in May of the Upper Sixth year. Results are published early in July.
Students choose six subjects in total, three at Higher Level and three at Standard Level, including one subject from each of the following groups (those marked * are only offered at Standard Level):
1. First Language: English or German
2. Second Language: English, French, German, Latin, Spanish or ab initio Spanish*
3. Humanities: Economics, Geography, History, Philosophy or Psychology
4. Science: Environmental Systems and Societies*, Physics*, Chemistry or Biology
5. Mathematics: Mathematical Studies*, Mathematics
6. One other: from any of the groups above or Theatre*, Music or Visual Arts
The College cannot guarantee that every combination of subjects will be possible.
A bilingual certification is awarded to students who study German in group 1.
A printed version of our IB prospectus is also available. To order your copy now,
telephone Mrs Dianne Allison on 01273 836937