An Interim Inspection of Hurstpierpoint College Senior School, Prep School and Pre-Prep School was conducted in late January 2011 by the Independent Schools Inspectorate. Hurst's headline summary of the Inspectors' conclusions for the Senior School and Sixth Form is as follows:
Please note that the ISI use four gradings in their reports: Excellent; Good; Satisfactory; Unsatisfactory.
- The overall quality of the pupils’ achievements is excellent
- Attitudes to learning are outstanding throughout the school
- The quality of teaching is excellent
- The personal development of the pupils is excellent
- Pastoral care, based upon the strong house system is excellent
- These [examination] results, confirmed by inspection evidence of highly supportive teaching and the pupils’ excellent attitudes to learning, indicate that pupils … make good progress overall at all stages when compared to others of similar ability
- Marking and assessment are of good quality and excellent use is made of the challenge grade system to ensure that the pupils know what they have done well and what they need to do to improve their work
- The safety and welfare of pupils are given the highest priority
- The strong boarding experience plays a valuable part in the pupils’ education and personal development
- The governance of the school is excellent
- Excellent leadership, with a clear vision for the future development of the school
- The partnerships with parents are excellent
To read the full ISI report on Hurst Senior School and Sixth Form, click here
ISI Interim Boarding Inspection February 2013
The intermediate inspection focuses on compliance with the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools and comments on the progress made by the school in meeting the recommendations set out in the most recent statutory boarding inspection carried out by Ofsted in June 2009. The inspection finding are not graded; it is either a straight pass or fail.
The summary of Inspection report confirmed that Hurst meets all the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools 2011 on the following criteria:
- Boarding provision and care
- Arrangements for welfare and safeguarding
- Leadership and management of the boarding provision
and had met the recommendations made in the 2009 Ofsted boarding inspection report.
The full ISI Interim Boarding Inspection Report is available on the ISI website www.isi.net