Senior School


1st XV win on the road in Daily Mail Cup


The first XV rugby team progressed into the sixth round of the Daily Mail Cup yesterday after winning at Ipswich’s St Joseph’s College 50 points to 10.

It was the home side who looked the more threatening in the opening ten minutes with Hurst made to defend deep in their twenty two.

Unable to capitalise on their early chances, St Joseph's conceded the first try after some clever tactical kicking by Hurst. Charlie Austin - Groome scored from the wing with Zack Henry on target with the conversion.

Jack Briggs added to the lead with a well worked try after some elusive footwork and support from the backs, making the score 12-3 at the break.

Beginning the second half as he ended the first, Jack doubled his try tally to put breathing space between the two sides.

Will Scrase was rewarded for his hard work out on the left wing as he also collected a brace of tries in the second half.

As the game opened up Hurst worked the ball from deep in their own half, scoring further tries through captain, Ollie Bunn, Doug Randall and Marcus Campopiano.

Zack Henry kicked three conversions before Sam Fieldwick added another to round off Hurst’s point score.

Despite only scoring once from the boot during the match, St Joseph’s heads didn't drop and they added the ninth try of the game in the dying moments.

After travelling back from East Anglia, Director of Sport, Rob Kift, told of his side’s achievement; “We’re delighted with this result. It keeps our cup hopes alive and to draw Dulwich in the sixth round is a reflection of how good our first XV currently are. Hurst runs on team spirit and that was shown yesterday”.

Hurst travel to play the reigning champions on 5th of December hoping to go one step further than last year’s 1st XV and to get within touching distance of the quarter finals.

Posted 22/11/2012


The 1st XV bowed out of the Daily Mail Cup in Round Six after an 18-5 defeat to the defending champions, Dulwich College.

Dulwich built an early 15-0 lead before the Hurst side rallied and used their strong kicking tactics to get into the game.

Hurst continued to be pressured in the second half but their collective will was rewarded when Jack Briggs scored a try in the closing moments.

Ollie Bunn and Harry Goodwin were fine examples of the Hurst spirit as they remained strong in the tackles to the final whistle.

Posted 07/12/2012